Monday, April 11, 2011

this is my life and i only got one yea



Confession time... I told myself that I wouldn't do super long races until I got older and lost my "speed" and gained "patience" but I severely underestimated the persuasiveness of my new running guys. EVERY weekend I met up for a long run I got nothing but reasons why I should change my registration for Two Oceans. I held strong, unsure if I could actually do it for one but also because I wasn't sure if I could still enter (you have to qualify with a marathon time). The week I did a training 40k I finally broke down and emailed the race director. Within hours I was told international registration was still open. Yikes. So now I guess I am officially registered for my first ultra marathon. Look out.

So this weekend the club and I ran the last 20ks of the race, mostly in the dark (5am start ensured we were less likely to be hit by cars speeding down the mountain). Really glad to have previewed the entire course (all 56ks) before race day, will be good for the mental game I will be playing to finish this sucker. Waking up so early kind of made the rest of Saturday extremely lazy, total approval. Nothing like knowing your work is done for the day around 8:30am... I have also come to the realization that I sleep in more on weekdays than the weekend... strange.

This weekend was also a cool tour of some new parts of cape town for me. Had a great dinner in Big Bay visiting a new friend, and was totally impressed by all the kite surfers rocking it in the ocean. Put that on my list of things to do. Also was able to spend some quality time at the V & A waterfront checking out boats, laughing at tourists and enjoying the beautiful sun all my s.a. friends had said was long gone. Excuse me but the sunburn I am rocking right now begs to differ. Summer lives on!


No comments:

Post a Comment