Monday, June 13, 2011

Leave all your love and your longing behind you, can't carry it with you if you want to survive




Trail run time again! Saturday was the Old Fisherman's Trail Challenge, and another way for me to run/climb a mountain that I see every day! The 22k race started on Hout Bay beach and ran up Blackburn ravine over to Silvermine, then down to finish on Kalk Bay beach. 600m elevation change in about 6ks was tough, but being on the mountain enjoying a fresh 'winter' day is so worth it. The clouds rolled in during the day, so when we were actually on top of the mountain it was hard to see the view, but kind of made it Jurassic Park like and mysterious.

This race was also called a 'challenge' because it included additional worries of 1. not getting lost 2. making sure to punch your race passport at every checkpoint 3. making it over some pretty rough terrain. No joke, they check your kit to make sure you are carrying all the proper equipment, and a good thing too. The guy in front of me during a tough downhill took a pretty big spill and cut open his knee, I literally saw kneecap. Thankfully we were close to a checkpoint and everyone around had proper first aid. Lets just say I was a bit more cautious of the slippery rocks after that one lol.

My favorite part of the run was in the Silvermine trails. I had run there previously and gave them the nickname of Michigan Trails, because they remind me so much of what I am familiar with... trees, lots of ruts, darker brown dirt and some boardwalks. Flew through that section and felt great before heading up another pretty intense uphill, getting almost lost twice, luging down way slick wooden paths, and then down to the beach where I saw a puffer fish. So much excitement, I know. To celebrate (and get a little clean) I jumped in the ocean, much to the dismay of the locals, who think its freezing here now. Silly.

So, another week, and another mountain down.

1 comment:

  1. um, you ran past a piece of litter in the 3rd photo without picking it up!

    ReplyDelete