Monday, February 28, 2011

And when the world slows down, dear When those stars burn out, here




Mmmm I live for the weekends. Unlimited freedom, so many great things to see, do and explore. This week I started my off time much earlier than usual. 5:30am to be exact, because that was when I needed to wake up in order to be ready for my 5:45am pick-up to... you guessed it, run :) Just a training run this time, but what a spectacular thing to get up for. The Hout Bay Harriers are feeling the crunch for Two Oceans (very famous ultra marathon/ half/ trail run) training so a group of us met to get our run on before getting on with the rest of our weekend plans. I get that people like to train early, but it was ridiculous how many runners and bikers were hitting the pavement by 6am, it was barely light out! Battling a slight headwind we set out to Noordhoek via Chapman's Peak drive (one of the most beautiful and scenic stretches of road you could ask for) were thus treated to a beautiful sunrise over the Atlantic ocean. So wonderful to be able to long run with people too. Finished the work for the day promptly at 8:20am and had the rest of the weekend for endless possibilities.

After a breakfast of oat pancakes (I have been told repeatedly that I am a silly american for eating such desserts for breakfast... I maintain that if you add oats and other health things pancakes should be totally accepted universally as a morning food) and a bit of lounging I headed to the beach to start a fresh book I had gotten from the library (working on devoting more of this wonderful free weekend time to reading words, waaaay too many books on my reading list at the moment). Swirling sand cut my visit short but made up for it by taking some photos walking around town and doing a little painting later on in the day.

Sunday was indeed a Sun day. Perfect beach weather this time without a hint of wind. Me and my book decided that the day would be fully devoted to the beach (after a run of course). Met some of the local girls enjoying the waves and chatted a bit about sharks (yikes) before realizing my skin was getting upset with all the sun. Took the opportunity to check out some local s.a. music online that was recommended (they are called Goldfish, I definitely approve). Had a successful taco night minus the tortillas (those things are freaking expensive here!) and before I knew it the weekend was gone. Sad face.

Ah well, another work week is upon us. Time to buckle down and attempt to be productive while unexplored corners of Hout Bay call my name.

1 comment: