Monday, September 20, 2010

The African Experience



So one of my favorite experiences so far in Cape Town has been eating dinner at The African Café. As soon as you enter the building you are surrounded by so many colors and lights, you know you are in for something spectacular. It’s a set menu restaurant that allows you to sample traditional dishes from all over Africa. This is great for me, because all I had to choose was my drink! Mmm Moroccan mint: imagine lime juice with crushed mint leaves creating almost a foam on top. It tasted just like chewing on a fresh mint leaf. The meal started with hand washing from a basin because traditionally in many African cultures you eat with your hands. Once I was told this I pretty much chucked my silverware under the table. Seriously, you give me the option to eat ridiculously in public I am totally going to take it. Only about 3 others in my group followed suit however, I guess they were intimidated by trying to eat salad with their fingers. Of the 15 courses (yeah, I know right?!) The ones that stood out were:

Mozambican organic sprout salad: Fresh salad with avocados, walnuts, feta and so much else I really don’t remember

Channa fish: Seems to be a staple around this area, with chickpea batter

Tanzanian mchicha wa nazi: Picture warm spinach

Portia’s Broccoli and Nut salad: Really fresh with a lemon honey dressing

Zimbabwean sweet corn and sweet potato mash: Pretty self-explanatory

Traditional vetkoek: The most amazing fried bread balls

During the meal, which was served tapas style 1-3 courses at a time, the girls were also offered face painting. It was so great; the women painted so beautifully and seemed to give each of us a design that matched our personality. Before the last course there was also lots of dancing and singing by the waiters, so amazing! The great part about this restaurant is that once all the courses (except dessert) had been served, you can request to have more helpings of anything on the menu. Paradise! The last course was a fudgy brownie with the most delicious and flavorful vanilla ice cream I have ever tasted. If you thought I would punk out at this point and get a spoon, you think incorrectly. Oh yes, it takes much more skill to eat brownies a la mode with your bare hands. All in all, another great bonding experience with some of the connect interns as we all acquired huge food babies.

2 comments:

  1. dude that sounds so awesome. im picturing you cackling with ice cream dribbling down your face joyously.

    ReplyDelete