Thursday, September 9, 2010

First Day of Work!

Today I started work at my internship program! I was a little nervous how I would fit into their work environment, 3 1/2 months is a long time to be working somewhere you don't like. Thankfully, I LOVE my placement!

Regency is an NGO based in the UK, but has a satellite program here in Cape Town. It is a small operation, but they are extremely professional and really productive. My boss is amazing, she started the program I will be working with called HIV and Me. From what I learned today, Regency solicits corporate sponsors that would have a personal interest in HIV/AIDS prevention programs, often local companies that are in districts that have history of high infection rates within their workforce or in the surrounding area. Once they solidify the sponsorship, they use the funds to sponsor a set number of schools that will get the HIV and Me training. The great part about this program is that we train the teachers of the school so that the program is sustainable after the training is completed. The program also fits in really well into the already established natural science and life orientation curriculum. So they learn about the immune system, viruses, virus transmission while learning to role play and say no to peer pressure.

My job, as I understand, will be going through the post-program evaluations in order to identify knowledge gaps and where there are still misunderstandings about HIV/ AIDS. I might also be in charge of a newsletter that Regency will be sending to their corporate sponsors letting them know about our projects and any updates we might have for them. My boss also mentioned that when schools are let out in December I might also help with research about the environmental programs Regency also sponsor. My impression of the whole operation: super professional and really proactive. I am SO exited to be working there! More about the work environment to come, this blog is already suuuper long :)

2 comments:

  1. Love this, love that you are having a great time and placement and love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Sarah. Thanks so much for taking time to share this with you. I'm so excited not only about the experience you are getting, but the difference you will make in so many lives. I am so proud of you!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete